The university through the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) reviews and authorizes research with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials. ESH also reviews and assists researchers by inspecting laboratories with compliance with federal and state requirements for biological research including the NIH rDNA Guidelines and the CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL). ESH provides biosafety training and also manages the university’s biological waste disposal program.
Researchers conducting biological research are required to:
- Register their protocols with the IBC
- Prepare a biosafety manual
- Complete appropriate biosafety training
- Correct all deficiencies identified during their annual biosafety inspection
- Ensure their biosafety cabinets are certified annually
U.S. Regulations and Guidelines